One of the oldest buildings in the U.S. is getting a facelift.
The Washington State Historical Society is putting the last of the hickories, barns and other structures in the old Hickory Industrial District on display.
The building at 1701 E. 15th St. in Seattle, Washington, was built in 1910 by the Pacific Pacific Railroad and is now owned by the Seattle Public Library.
The structure is a rare relic of a time when buildings were being built in the region that had a heavy focus on urban renewal.
The library’s archives include a small building on a corner that was built by the company in the 1880s.
The Pacific Pacific was the first railroad company in Washington to build a commercial office in the Pacific Northwest.
A similar building was built on a site near Seattle in 1912.
The first of the new structures is a replica of the one that once stood there.
The buildings have been covered in plaster to protect them from the elements.
The hickys, barn, and other buildings are in their original state, but they’re in the process of being re-purposed for something more special.
The project is the work of the Society for Historic Preservation and is funded by the Federal Highway Administration.
The Society says that the restoration is a collaboration between the Seattle Historical Society, the Historic Preservation Office of the State Historic Preservation Commission and the Washington State Department of Transportation.
The organization is using the public’s help to fund a project that has taken a long time to plan.
The group has raised nearly $4.5 million to complete the project, including a $2.6 million grant from the National Park Service.
The restoration of the building is part of the project’s broader goal to preserve the history of the area, according to the Society.
The historic buildings were once part of a major transportation hub and once included businesses like a lumber mill and a grocery store.
The railroad also built several other buildings in Seattle in the 1910s.